Hi, Everyone. How are you doing? Hope you are doing fantastic. I have been very busy lately, but I am enjoying this early spring weather.
I would like to share with you today the delicious Japanese meal called ‘Nikujaga‘ It means ‘Meat and Potato’ from two main ingredients Niku (meat) and Jagaimo (potato).This is a very traditional dish in Japan and it’s usually cooked at home occasionally. Also, this traditional meal, Nikujaga, is known as ‘Ofukuro No Aji’ (Mother’s Taste), so the taste is slightly different depends on household.
NikuJaga is a Japanese version of the stew, there is only small amount of meat in this meal, but the meat adds a great flavor and combination with Japanese classic seasoning (soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar) match pretty Good!
If you love authentic Japanese food, you should try Nikujaga. I’m sure you will enjoy it : )
Ingredients for serving 4
1 large onion
2 medium potatoes
1/2 lb thinly sliced pork
1pkg shirataki noodle
1tbs vegetable oil
4 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon sake or mirin
3 tablespoon sugar
1 cup water
- Cut Onion into 10-12 wedges. Peel carrot and potato and cut into bite size
- Rinse and drain shirataki noodle with boiled water
- Add oil on the pot and cook onion. Add meat until no longer pink.
- Add carrot, potato and shirataki noodle and add all seasoning you made. Bring to boil.
- Once boiling turn down the heat to medium and make sure all ingredients are flat and covered. Place otoshibuta and keep simmering on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until potato and carrot get soft.
- Keep the otoshibuta and let is stand for 30 minutes before serving. So the flavor will soak into the ingredients.
If you have any questions about this meal, Nikujaga, please leave a comment below.
Thank you for reading, every one : )
Want to check out my recipes?—> More Recipes
♡♡Return to Home page
♡♡Contact with Anna