Summer is almost here. Do you have any plans for this summer?
Yesterday, I was craving healthy spicy food, so I looked on my food shelves to see what I have. Guess what? I found Tortillas : ) Wonderful, I can make ‘Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup.’
I put 2 medium jalapenos this time, so it was quit spicy, but chopped avocado calms the spiciness down, just a little bit. Also I put shredded chicken, corn, black beans….Plus, golden crispy tortilla stripes on top. It made me super full only one small bowl of soup!
If you LOVE spicy food like me, you should try this ‘Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup.’ If you are NOT a big fun of spicy food, but you have no idea what to use leftover tortillas for, make a ‘Non-Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup.’ (Do NOT put jalapenos). You will LOVE IT : )
Tip: I made crispy tortilla stripes in my oven. It needs just a little bit of oil than frying and much HEALTHIER. PLUS, easy to clean up afterwords!
Ingredients (4-5 Serving):
10 small corn tortillas (you can also use flour tortillas too), cut into 1/4- inch wide strips.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced small
2 medium jalapeno pepper, diced very small (the seeds are where the heat is concentrated; included or discard them based on preference.)
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
32 ounces (4 coups) low-sodium chicken broth
Two 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes and juice
One 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (Using store brought one saves time)
12 ounce corn (I used frown corn)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
diced avocado for serving *optional for serving
shredded cheese *optional for serving
sour cream *optional for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degree F, line a baking sheet with a foil to save cleanup time, loosely scatter the tortilla stripes, evenly drizzle with olive oil. And bake for about 15-18 minutes or until crisp and lightly golden brown: set aside. While strip bake, start to make the soup!
- To a large pot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm.
- Add the onion,jalapenos and saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and juice, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, 2 teaspoon salt, pepper, paprika and bring to boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 to 7 minutes. If at any point the overall liquid level looks low or you prefer your soup to have more broth, add 1-2 cups of water; you will adjust the salt and seasoning levels at the end!
- Add the cilantro and boil 1 minute.
- Taste soup and add salt to taste. This will vary based on how salty the chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans and of course personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustment such as more salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, etc.
- Ladel soup into bowls, top with tortilla stripes to taste, optionally add avocado, cheese, and/or sour cream. Serve Immediately!
Let me know how did you like this ‘Chicken Tortilla Soup’, Ladies : )
♡♡Return to Home page
♡♡Contact with Anna